Welcome to Welcome to

Login
User Name

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Main Menu
icon_home.gif Home

icon_community.gif Community
tree-T.gif Discussion Forums
tree-T.gif Shout Box
tree-L.gif Member Map
som_downloads.gif Resources
tree-T.gif Events Calendar
tree-T.gif Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Articles
tree-L.gif Web Links
icon_members.gif Account Tools
tree-T.gif Your Account

User Info

Welcome, Anonymous
User Name
Password

· Register
· Lost Password
People Online:
Visitors: 185
Members: 2

We received
70622618
page views since
March 2004

Server Date/Time
20 November 2017 08:34:54 CST (GMT -6)

  
The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group: Discussion Forums

Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group :: View topic - '73 CL100 fix-up


'73 CL100 fix-up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Honda
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
spurlock
Commuter
Commuter


Joined: Jul 08, 2014
Posts: 868
Location: Vacaville, CA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John550f wrote:
Hey guys I ran into a problem today when ordering a battery online from amazon. It asked if the bike was a scrambler or a scrambler/s. How can I tell if it’s an “s”or not. Amazon is saying the 6N6-3B fits the s , not just scrambler. My vin number is CL100-1226782. Is amazon correct?


Hi John,

All CL100 models both S and K used the same battery, the 6N6-3B.

-Bill

_________________
1975 Honda CB125S
1975 Honda XL250K2
1989 Honda NX250
1989 Honda GB500tt
1990 Honda GB500tt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John550f
Commuter
Commuter


Joined: Dec 18, 2012
Posts: 515
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot!! I didn’t think it mattered.


John

_________________
77 cb550f
71 sl70
72 Cl100
1981 RM125 (project)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John550f
Commuter
Commuter


Joined: Dec 18, 2012
Posts: 515
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys,

I seem to have an electrical issue. I have been riding the bike just a bit as I got it running. I did not have a battery so I was starting it through a battery charger acting as a battery. After I started it up I would disconnect and ride. It was riding rough and I decided to get a new coil. The bike was not getting a consistent spark, and after it ran a bit it would sputter and spit. Sooopo I got a new coil as the original one died. Now understand I still do not have a battery (it is on the way). Today I hooked the new coil up and connected the condenser and it started up, ran good, but when I pulled the battery charger off the leads, it died. I am afraid it could be stator related. What is your expert diagnosis? Thanks guys!

JB

_________________
77 cb550f
71 sl70
72 Cl100
1981 RM125 (project)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spurlock
Commuter
Commuter


Joined: Jul 08, 2014
Posts: 868
Location: Vacaville, CA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John550f wrote:
Ok guys,

I seem to have an electrical issue. I have been riding the bike just a bit as I got it running. I did not have a battery so I was starting it through a battery charger acting as a battery. After I started it up I would disconnect and ride. It was riding rough and I decided to get a new coil. The bike was not getting a consistent spark, and after it ran a bit it would sputter and spit. Sooopo I got a new coil as the original one died. Now understand I still do not have a battery (it is on the way). Today I hooked the new coil up and connected the condenser and it started up, ran good, but when I pulled the battery charger off the leads, it died. I am afraid it could be stator related. What is your expert diagnosis? Thanks guys!

JB


The bike has battery ignition so unless you have a big capacitor in the system the stator will not put out enough to power the coil. Plus it's possible that running it without a battery in the circuit has fried the rectifier. Test for continuity one direction and none in the other between the rectifier leads to make sure it's still OK.

-Bill

_________________
1975 Honda CB125S
1975 Honda XL250K2
1989 Honda NX250
1989 Honda GB500tt
1990 Honda GB500tt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John550f
Commuter
Commuter


Joined: Dec 18, 2012
Posts: 515
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will. I was afraid I fried something.
Thanks

_________________
77 cb550f
71 sl70
72 Cl100
1981 RM125 (project)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John550f
Commuter
Commuter


Joined: Dec 18, 2012
Posts: 515
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I when I pair up wires all get continuity one way and not the other except for my top two wires in the bundle. I believe its the pink and yellow wires. I cant get continuity either way. Each way I connect with the multimeter I get a reading of 1. According to your post above, and from my reading. I should get a reading one way but not the other with all the wires. If my readings are correct I have a fried rectifier. I am I correct?

Its a 4 wire harness.

Thanks
JB

_________________
77 cb550f
71 sl70
72 Cl100
1981 RM125 (project)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spurlock
Commuter
Commuter


Joined: Jul 08, 2014
Posts: 868
Location: Vacaville, CA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John550f wrote:
Ok I when I pair up wires all get continuity one way and not the other except for my top two wires in the bundle. I believe its the pink and yellow wires. I cant get continuity either way. Each way I connect with the multimeter I get a reading of 1. According to your post above, and from my reading. I should get a reading one way but not the other with all the wires. If my readings are correct I have a fried rectifier. I am I correct?

Its a 4 wire harness.

Thanks
JB


Actually your rectifier sounds OK. You should show continuity one way and not the other between these pairs: green/pink, pink/red, green/yellow, and red/yellow. There is no test for pink/yellow. And for anyone else reading, it's best to use an ohmmeter with a diode setting, usually designated by a diode icon on the knob. Otherwise you need a 200K ohm setting.

Once you get the new battery installed, test the charging system by putting a voltmeter across the battery terminals (fully charged battery first). Headlight off, you should see full voltage at idle (6.3+ volts), then climbing to 7.5+ V at 5,000 rpm. High beam on, the voltage should start to climb around 2,200 rpm.

Also put an ammeter in series with one of the battery terminals. Charging current should start to go positive jsut above an idle with headlight off, or above 3,500 rpm with high beam on.

-Bill

_________________
1975 Honda CB125S
1975 Honda XL250K2
1989 Honda NX250
1989 Honda GB500tt
1990 Honda GB500tt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John550f
Commuter
Commuter


Joined: Dec 18, 2012
Posts: 515
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! good news.....Maybe. I am a little worried it may be the stator. I have had to change the stator in 2 of my finds. It could be there is nothing wrong. We shall see.
_________________
77 cb550f
71 sl70
72 Cl100
1981 RM125 (project)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John550f
Commuter
Commuter


Joined: Dec 18, 2012
Posts: 515
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok stator checked out. I have a new coil, new fully charged battery, and no spark. A few days ago I put a new coil on the bike and had good spark. Today after charging the battery and trying to start it I get no spark. I checked the plug and got a spark a few times, now I’m not getting one at all. Confused. Any suggestions?
_________________
77 cb550f
71 sl70
72 Cl100
1981 RM125 (project)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spurlock
Commuter
Commuter


Joined: Jul 08, 2014
Posts: 868
Location: Vacaville, CA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John550f wrote:
Ok stator checked out. I have a new coil, new fully charged battery, and no spark. A few days ago I put a new coil on the bike and had good spark. Today after charging the battery and trying to start it I get no spark. I checked the plug and got a spark a few times, now I’m not getting one at all. Confused. Any suggestions?


I would double check for clean points, tight and clean ignition wiring connections, and bypass the kill switch by connecting the black and black/white leads together. If it has spark without the kill switch, disassemble and clean the switch contacts, or just leave it bypassed.

-Bill

_________________
1975 Honda CB125S
1975 Honda XL250K2
1989 Honda NX250
1989 Honda GB500tt
1990 Honda GB500tt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John550f
Commuter
Commuter


Joined: Dec 18, 2012
Posts: 515
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was going through your suggestions I stumbled upon the issue. As I was checking and cleaning the points I noticed a ticking sound when I manually opened the points. I looked at my plug and noticed that there was no spark. As I listened closer I realized the noise was coming from somewhere around the coil. As I inspected the wiring I noticed some exposed ground wire connectors touching the frame. When I pulled them away from frame I got spark at the plug. The spark was jumping through these exposed connectors. Fixed it and it started right up!
_________________
77 cb550f
71 sl70
72 Cl100
1981 RM125 (project)


Last edited by John550f on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spurlock
Commuter
Commuter


Joined: Jul 08, 2014
Posts: 868
Location: Vacaville, CA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John550f wrote:
As I was going through your suggestions I stumbled upon the issue. As I was checking and cleaning the points I noticed a ticking sound when I manually opened the points. I looked at my plug and noticed that there was no spark. As I listened closer I realized the noise was coming from somewhere around the coil. As I inspected the wiring I noticed some exposed ground wire connectors touching the frame. When I pulled them away from frame I got spark at the plug. The spark was jumping through these espoused connectors. Fixed it and it started right up!


Ya gotta love an easy fix! Good job.

-Bill

_________________
1975 Honda CB125S
1975 Honda XL250K2
1989 Honda NX250
1989 Honda GB500tt
1990 Honda GB500tt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John550f
Commuter
Commuter


Joined: Dec 18, 2012
Posts: 515
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I think I’m cursed on this one. Got it running heard some tapet noise, looked inside and one ofthe tapets and nut are no where to be seen. Looks as if they came off. Tell me there is a way to get them recovered without splitting this engine. I thought I was ready to ride this thing. Feeling a little ashamed right now.
_________________
77 cb550f
71 sl70
72 Cl100
1981 RM125 (project)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spurlock
Commuter
Commuter


Joined: Jul 08, 2014
Posts: 868
Location: Vacaville, CA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John550f wrote:
And I think I’m cursed on this one. Got it running heard some tapet noise, looked inside and one ofthe tapets and nut are no where to be seen. Looks as if they came off. Tell me there is a way to get them recovered without splitting this engine. I thought I was ready to ride this thing. Feeling a little ashamed right now.


Gee, I've never left any bolts loose (ha ha ha). The parts pretty much have to be in the head as there is very little space for them to get past the left cam bearing and fall down the chain passage. I would just get a flexible mechanic's magnet and go fishing. Pull the tank and use a flashlight too. I'll bet you will pick them right up.

-Bill

_________________
1975 Honda CB125S
1975 Honda XL250K2
1989 Honda NX250
1989 Honda GB500tt
1990 Honda GB500tt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John550f
Commuter
Commuter


Joined: Dec 18, 2012
Posts: 515
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to go out and get a magnet. I looked and looked with a flashlight and I cant find them. Explain this passage for me and its function. I do see a passage on the left side bottom in the back. Is this where it could have gone? Seems like the nut and the tappet would come off in one piece making it impossible to pass.
_________________
77 cb550f
71 sl70
72 Cl100
1981 RM125 (project)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Honda All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Theme Graphics By Ian Fox

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002 by me.

PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2004 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Page Generation: 0.18 Seconds