Welcome to Welcome to

Login
User Name

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Main Menu
icon_home.gif Home

icon_community.gif Community
tree-T.gif Discussion Forums
tree-T.gif Shout Box
tree-L.gif Member Map
som_downloads.gif Resources
tree-T.gif Events Calendar
tree-T.gif Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Articles
tree-L.gif Web Links
icon_members.gif Account Tools
tree-T.gif Your Account

User Info

Welcome, Anonymous
User Name
Password

· Register
· Lost Password
People Online:
Visitors: 150
Members: 2

We received
page views since
March 2004

Server Date/Time
24 June 2017 16:40:25 CDT (GMT -5)

The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group: Discussion Forums

Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group :: View topic - Paint Job Swing Arm

Paint Job Swing Arm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech Tip Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinPoint
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Paint Job Swing Arm Reply with quote

Hi !

I stripped a Suzuki TC125 swing arm to bare metal.

Would like to know the best way to go from experienced guys out there :

1) Should I prepare the bare metal to receive paint ?
2) What primer and paint should I use to have a good job done ?
3) How many coats should I apply on for each.
4) Should I apply a clear coat after paint ?

Thank You !
PinPoint
Thomas8
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to your local NAPA store and check out Duplicolor spray paint. It's great stuff, and most NAPA stores have a wide selection of their products. Find the product and color that you want and follow the prep instructions on the label. It will tell you what to do for prep and which type of primer to use. When I did a light resto on my RD350 a year ago, I used Duplicolor on a a couple of items and it worked fine. I think that a few others on this board also swear by it.

Close exam of my bike revealed that some parts, such as the swing arm, have a glossy black finish. Other parts, including the rear brake pedal and front master cylinder, have a matte (not flat) black finish. Duplicolor had what I needed for a fine match to the original finishes. No clear coat was needed.

Casor
Welcome New Member
Welcome New Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pin - a catalyzed paint is the only way to go if you want it to be durable. For black and silver, I use 2-part (A+B) epoxy colored paint from Klass Kote although they have many other colors, but no metallic in epoxy. Their white or gray primer is also very good. A "single part" urethane is also very good - single part so named because there is no clear coat, but these are catalyzed paints in that you must mix in a hardener. "Two part" systems - base coat clear coat - are also used but I feel that these modern finishes look too shiny on the old bikes. But it all depends what you want. For frames and other non body parts, for me it's epoxy all the way.

Non clear coat finishes are what most bikes of the day had and most did not even have a primer coat. FYI, you can spray epoxy right over bare metal if it is clean and it will only come off by grinding or sand blasting. It is durable stuff and sticks very well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Tech Tip Archives All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: