Welcome to Welcome to

Login
User Name

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Main Menu
icon_home.gif Home

icon_community.gif Community
tree-T.gif Discussion Forums
tree-T.gif Shout Box
tree-L.gif Member Map
som_downloads.gif Resources
tree-T.gif Events Calendar
tree-T.gif Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Articles
tree-L.gif Web Links
icon_members.gif Account Tools
tree-T.gif Your Account

User Info

Welcome, Anonymous
User Name
Password

· Register
· Lost Password
People Online:
Visitors: 186
Members: 0

We received
page views since
March 2004

Server Date/Time
23 November 2017 20:50:03 CST (GMT -6)

The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group: Discussion Forums

Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group :: View topic - '73 CL100 fix-up

'73 CL100 fix-up
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Honda
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgjessing
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: '73 CL100 fix-up Reply with quote

Just picked this up a couple days ago:

It's mostly there, but needs a fair amount of work. Only about 3,300 miles on the odometer. It's not currently running, but I'm hoping it won't be too difficult to get it going. So far, I've cleaned out the gas tank, which was about 50/50 gas and rusty water. Looks good now and doesn't leak, so I won't be sealing it.

The wiring is a bit of a mess. It's missing the air box/battery holder, so instead someone welded in a steel four-gang workbox and stuffed everything in there. Anyone have a link to a colored wiring diagram? That would be super helpful... I've found the missing box on eBay and it's supposed to be here next week.

The carb is missing the part which holds the needle in place in the slide, so obviously that needs to be corrected. (The needle can just move up and down.) I think I can make something easy enough...

Does a good battery need to be in place in order to get a spark?

The ignition timing was way, way off (like 180*). Fixed that.

More as things progress!
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 CL100 fix-up Reply with quote

dgjessing wrote:
.........The wiring is a bit of a mess. It's missing the air box/battery holder, so instead someone welded in a steel four-gang workbox and stuffed everything in there. Anyone have a link to a colored wiring diagram? That would be super helpful...
Welcome to the VJMOG. I don't have a colored wiring diagram for you but of course black and white ones are all over the internet, but here is a simplified diagram from Oregon Motorcycle Parts with one of his regulator/rectifier combos' wired in. Using it in addition to a full wiring diagram will probably helpful. The diagram may come in handy later....maybe not. Good Luck and have fun.

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/files/OMP_Honda_VRRPM2_Wiring_Diagram.jpg

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Products.html

spurlock
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello dgjessing,

You can download a pdf of the Honda 100/125 shop manual at the link below. It has a wiring diagram for your bike:

http://www.dotheton.com/downloads/Honda%20CB100%20CB125%20CL100%20SL100%20CD125%20SL125%20Workshop.pdf

And yes, your bike does need a battery to power the ignition, unless someone has converted it to use a capacitor in place of the battery. Good luck with your project!

-Bill

1989 Honda GB500tt
1990 Honda GB500tt
dgjessing
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Yes, I've got that PDF manual, and it's helpful. Would just be cool to have the original color wiring diagram Smile.

I've wiggled things enough that I can get a weak spark. The battery that came with it is probably the culprit - one of those sealed things, 6v 5ah, questionable condition. I charge it up and it will run the headlight for about 30 seconds. I'll wait for the air filter / battery box to arrive before getting a new one to fit.

I have checked the valve clearances - good enough till it's running. Currently cleaning the fuel petcock and carburetor, and making a shopping list.

I'm reluctant to put much money in the thing until I have the title in hand. They guy I bought it from was selling it for his sister, who is out of the country for a couple weeks. I held back half the money pending receipt of the title. I don't think anything funny is going on, but still...
spurlock
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, sounds like you're on the right track.

There never was a color wiring diagram for these.

-Bill

1989 Honda GB500tt
1990 Honda GB500tt
dgjessing
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spurlock wrote:

-Bill

Alright, I'll quit hoping for the colored diagram Smile.

This thing is just exactly what I've been after. I took about a 30 year break from riding after my daughter was born. Got back into mopeds a couple years ago, but they just don't have what it takes to safely keep up with city traffic. This should do the trick Smile.

The plan is to get it running reliably now, then get into a full restoration over the winter. Did the same thing with a Benelli Fireball last year: http://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,4013665,4013665,sv=2
spurlock
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgjessing wrote:
spurlock wrote:

-Bill

Alright, I'll quit hoping for the colored diagram Smile.

This thing is just exactly what I've been after. I took about a 30 year break from riding after my daughter was born. Got back into mopeds a couple years ago, but they just don't have what it takes to safely keep up with city traffic. This should do the trick Smile. ....

Yeah, you will find the little CL100 a very capable bike. Just don't be afraid to downshift and rev it up to maintain speed when necessary, they can take it! Like any engine they need clean oil and a well maintained air filter. Hopefully previous owners tended to those things. Have fun with your project and keep us posted!

-Bill

1989 Honda GB500tt
1990 Honda GB500tt
dgjessing
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along. Today I put the fuel petcock back together and mounted it on the tank, then put some gas in it and did a leak test for a few hours out on the picnic table - passed! I also cleaned the carb and put it all back together. The PO said that he had recently had it running, but only for a second. I seriously doubt this, as the carb had only a little mud in it which did not even smell like gas Smile. Well, maybe he got it to fire on starting fluid. Anyway, the fuel system is all ready to go now.

More wiring problems - it looks as though the headlight / kill switch gizmo is not original. The headlight switch lever part is missing, which led me to look in the headlight can to see what was up. Looks like all the wires from the switch have crimped-on connectors, and the wire colors do not match the ones they connect to in the harness. And there is no provision for the brake lever in the switch body, unlike the other side with the clutch lever / horn / turn signal switch. So that's gotta be sorted out one of these days.
dgjessing
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It lives - well, for about 45 seconds anyway. But it sounded good Smile. Maybe the battery crapped out (and it's not charging) or a chunk of crud closed the main jet. Whatever - I now know the engine runs!
dgjessing
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new air/battery box arrived 2 days early! It's pretty ratty, but sound. I will clean it up and re-paint. It will replace the metal "work box" some previous owner tack welded in the frame.

DSCF4762.JPG
 Description:
existing electrical box
 Filesize:  118.43 KB
 Viewed:  29 Time(s)

DSCF4762.JPG

DSCF4761.JPG
 Description:
crusty "new" air box
 Filesize:  118.43 KB
 Viewed:  24 Time(s)

DSCF4761.JPG

dgjessing
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone shed any light on how the front end of the rear fender is supposed to be secured? It's got a couple holes in it, but no obvious place to attach on the frame (?).

DSCF4763.JPG
 Description:
rear fender attachment?
 Filesize:  115.46 KB
 Viewed:  30 Time(s)

DSCF4763.JPG

spurlock
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a bracket spot welded to the fender with two projections on it that insert into rubber grommets in the frame. See the diagram here:

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/Models+with+no+year/CL100S+A/SEAT+%2B+REAR+FENDER/parts.html

Maybe the holes you see are from the spot welds being broken or drilled out?

-Bill

1989 Honda GB500tt
1990 Honda GB500tt
dgjessing
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - thanks! Someone has cut around 6" off the fender and it doesn't reach down that far anymore. The cut edge is rough...
spurlock
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgjessing wrote:
Ah - thanks! Someone has cut around 6" off the fender and it doesn't reach down that far anymore. The cut edge is rough...

Damn, don't you just love these "custom builds?" The good news is there are a bunch on ebay here:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050890.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xcl100+rear+fender.TRS0&_nkw=cl100+rear+fender&_sacat=6000

-Bill

1989 Honda GB500tt
1990 Honda GB500tt
dgjessing
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the local bike junkyard today - no fender, but I did find the parts that were missing from my headlight switch, and got that sorted out. Ordered one of those fenders from eBay.

Yeah, I looked up the title at the BMV (just to confirm it exists) and discovered that it has changed hands 6 times. So lots of people have had the opportunity to mess with it over the years... Rolling Eyes

I'm slowly going through the wiring to make sure things are connected up right. The rectifier is a more modern type, but it's hard wired so I can't test it without cutting it out and soldering it back in. Still have a very weak spark, even with a new battery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Honda All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: