Welcome to Welcome to

Login
User Name

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Main Menu
icon_home.gif Home

icon_community.gif Community
tree-T.gif Discussion Forums
tree-T.gif Shout Box
tree-L.gif Member Map
som_downloads.gif Resources
tree-T.gif Events Calendar
tree-T.gif Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Articles
tree-L.gif Web Links
icon_members.gif Account Tools
tree-T.gif Your Account

User Info

Welcome, Anonymous
User Name
Password

· Register
· Lost Password
People Online:
Visitors: 166
Members: 2

We received
page views since
March 2004

Server Date/Time
20 February 2018 12:26:45 CST (GMT -6)

The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group: Discussion Forums

Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group :: View topic - I suppose living inside a muffler could be quite cozy.......

I suppose living inside a muffler could be quite cozy.......
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Market Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: I suppose living inside a muffler could be quite cozy....... Reply with quote

.....especially when it's insulated, has an adobe doorway and stocked with a little food.

Nice muffler and baffle I just got from ebay for a spare baffle mostly....more evidence it's just been sitting since 1975 as the seller told me as the previous owner told him.

I'm very happy with the muffler Mr. ebay seller....I just thought it funny, that is, after I realized the rattling sound I heard was only a biggo mud dobbers nest that probably broke apart during shipping and was not pieces of the baffle!

Thought all the surprises were over until I went to poke the baffle out for inspection and realized.....

One pile on the table and one pile on the ground......it just kept coming. Shocked

Remnants of old rations.

Ok, hopefully that's all of it.

Now to poke the baffle out with my trusty, getting shorter every few years, broom stick handle. Disclaimer on this procedure will follow at end of my reply. This one bumped out as easy as eating pie. Smile

After the removal of the baffle of course.....

'I can see clearly now'

After the removal of course.....

View of T500 baffle front..

A couple of inches in shows the front baffle/tube support that the wood broom handle bumps against.

EDITING = mostly switching the Photobucket links to Imgur hosting site.

Last edited by dorT500 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:41 pm; edited 5 times in total
05c50
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there's some bugs and rodents wandering around looking for their homes. "We've been living here for years, where could it have gone?"

......Paul

�80 CB650c
�75 GL1000-finally finished
�79 KZ200
68 CB450K1-taking up all my time
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

05c50 wrote:
Looks like there's some bugs and rodents wandering around looking for their homes. "We've been living here for years, where could it have gone?"
Sad You're right. Exclamation I'm going to put everything back....just as I found it and send the muffler back to the ebay seller. But those critters will have to build a new back door...........because I'm keeping the baffle. Twisted Evil I'm sure the seller will understand. Arrow

Razz

dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least there won't be any critters in the new pipes below. Smile

I'm buying a lot of parts for my '75 T500....stockpiling for now.... and do you think it is time for some new header pipes? Shocked Welcome to the Gulf Coast. Sad I've neglected this bike too long and when I was working, I rode and parked it too often right on a Galveston Bay shoreline or right on the coastal shoreline. This time I'm going stainless instead of having the originals re-chromed like I did years back.

A stainless pair from Titan Performance http://classic2strokesuzuki.weebly.com/one-stop-cafe-shop.html in the UK is in transit to me now. I didn't buy the clamps....I'll have the stock ones re-chromed along with other parts. I know stainless is not completely rust proof and I'll miss the deep shine in show chrome but I think I'll be able to stay on top of keeping these looking good.

Last edited by dorT500 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
05c50
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really purty!

........Paul

�80 CB650c
�79 KZ200
spurlock
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some really gorgeous header pipes there Dor, good luck on your parts gathering. The T500 is an iconic bike, a friend of mine has one that I worked on many years ago. He's stopped riding and I'm thinking I should encourage him to put it on the market. Do you need another? Very Happy

-Bill

1989 Honda CB-1
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your 'thumbs up' on that purchase.

No Bill Smile , I don't want another one though except for a frame and front end, I could probably put another one together with all spare parts, including an engine, I have accumulated over a couple of dozen years. Shocked

Just a little of the stuff bought in the last few weeks.....

(Mixture of original ebay pics and pics I took.)

Not delivered yet but here is just an example of the reproduction vin label I ordered. EDIT 10/23/17..... Had label for awhile now. Updated pic.... top one is the original I had to take off years ago when I had the frame powder-coated.

I don't know what the story is behind the previous owners repair or mod on this lever (I see he got it plenty hot Shocked) but it will make a great emergency spare and believe me, after putting well over 100,000 miles on my '75 I have been though several of these badly designed kickstart levers over the last 24 years. The pivot shafts tend to split at bottom. Pivot is solid, no excessive slack and condition of splines is very good. Bolt broken inside but I've found that par for the course on others I have bought. Just have to turn the stop end of the bolt on out with a pair of needle nose locking pliers after dissembling the lever from the pivot base.

$34.00 shipped

I know there are some mirrors from Indonesia that claim to be NOS and selling for $100.00 a pair but I'm not sure if they are the 'real McCoys' It seems I remember some 'talk' years ago about knock offs of Suzuki 'S' mirrors being made but I'm just not sure.
The stamped 'S' I see on some of those mirrors looks a little peculiar to me....around the edges. I could be wrong about all this but I'll stick with getting these known 'real ones' I have back to their former glory.

True NOS mirror? Sure seems so. The rare 'S' version. Still has an old sticker on it and original protective film. I can't use the 8mm arm.....my perches are 10mm.
I just bought it for the mirror/swivel/backplate parts. I'm trying to refurbish and use a method to de-dent then re-crimp some others I have. $17.00 shipped.

$59.99 shipped
On close inspection, this kickstand was truly NOS and has never been installed. I have been nursing the original kickstand and mounting bracket along for a few years with shimming, etc. but the bike was really leaning BAD and then the foot of the kickstand broke off. Oh boy. Sad

From a very old dealership/indoor used parts place..... two true NOS sidestand mounting brackets. At only $10.95 for each I was compelled to buy two. Love that dust! Also long discontinued NOS rear turnsignal bracket, $7.95 and a NLA NOS headlamp bracket seat for....get this... $1.25 Shocked

More stuff due in starting Monday. Smile

Last edited by dorT500 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
05c50
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have hit the lottery. Laughing

....Paul

�80 CB650c
�79 KZ200
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

05c50 wrote:
You must have hit the lottery. Laughing...Paul
Smile Never have played it but people tell me I should when I tell them that. They say those are the ones that usually win. Wink Idunno
ConnerVT
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know Suzuki also had flip-phones in 1975. Laughing
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnerVT wrote:
I didn't know Suzuki also had flip-phones in 1975. Laughing
aahhh....a phone snob. Smile 'Reflecting' back, shows me you are a 'Master of the Obvious'. Bow Straining the 'ol eyes eh? It was selfish of me to use what was convenient for me to use. You should of said something earlier. Wink I'll get you some better pics next time but Thanks for looking.
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought this rear go hardware from member CaptCatFish years back as spares. I knew at the time my rear brake drum on the T500 was approaching its wear limit. Well passed the wear limit now. I cleaned them up pretty good......a little more wet sanding and polishing and then they will installed on a new rim with polished stainless steel spokes.

Sidecover in very good condition...no cracks. Off ebay awhile back. That's just a scratch on the front. I took a little sandpaper to it one day an discovered it was originally off the same year bike as mine. 1975 Maui Blue Metallic

Front and rear shoes and reproduction fork boots.

Old side cover I have been nursing along for years. Crack city. Months ago I did a combination of melting the cracks together with a soldering wand and use an epoxy that they use to glue down those little round reflectors on concrete. Seems to be holding up well, so I am prepping it and a spare oil tank before painting them and hopefully by then, my spare fuel tank. Like I said, this is just a spare body set, so it doesn't have to be perfect ....and it won't be......I can garr-oann-teeee you that. Wink I'm still waiting for when I can afford to have my original body set painted by Marbles Motors.

Seat pan that went underwater....figured it deserved to be powder-coated. Front foot rests along with a spare battery box was able to be done along with it.....within the minimum charge of the power coating company. I had the frame, swing arm, foot rests and other bits powder coated years back by the same company.

Pair of reproduction shocks ebay. I'll take them apart to add the short chome shrouds/skirts at the top that came off the originals. I think I'll leave the protective sleeve around the damper rod. Price had been greatly reduced. I think it was $69.00 US plus $10.00 shipping. I noticed the price went up substantially afterwards.

Inexpensive seat cover.....Just a quick fit check on the seat foam.

Edited in older part of thread but here it is again..
T500 reproduction vin label with the original I had to take off when frame was powdercoated.

On order........

Good GT250 spline end to be welded on T500 shift shaft

Last edited by dorT500 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
spurlock
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work you're doing there Dor, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Question, where did you have the repro vin label made, is it aluminum?

I have an old friend with a T500 I worked on many years ago. He is now in rural Idaho and afraid to ride it due to way too many moose and other critters on the roads up there.

-Bill

1989 Honda CB-1
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spurlock wrote:
Very nice work you're doing there Dor, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Question, where did you have the repro vin label made, is it aluminum?
Thanks Bill, I got them (two...first one did not show up at first but did later) on ebay. I have the sellers name, address, etc. I can get it to you if you want. It was not quite what I was expecting. The month and vin numbers are printed on, not stamped in like the original and though it does seem to be a decal on on a semi metallic material.....I guess it would have to be aluminum, I think it is a tad thinner. That is an old picture and it has been awhile since I handled it. I'll check it out closer tomorrow for you. I had sent the seller a message suggesting that he put the decal on just a shade thicker base and then he could lightly stamp the numbers in for customers. I think he was keen on the idea (or he wanted to tell me 'what for Wink ') and gave me his phone number to call him but I never did.
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better look. A few years ago I posted a link for a vin tag maker for someone and I think it was more substantial than these but I really don't remember and it would be too hard to find it in the VJMOG search engine.

Wait a minute....this may have been the company Arrow http://www.machineplatesonline.com/vin-plates-and-hull-plates/ Looks like some are printed and some are stamped.

You can google keywords 'vintage motorcycle vin tag' and probably come up with a few more..........or start a little gig of your own and do it 'your way'. Wink I'll be your first customer. Smile

Last edited by dorT500 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Market Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: