Welcome to Welcome to

Login
User Name

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Main Menu
icon_home.gif Home

icon_community.gif Community
tree-T.gif Discussion Forums
tree-T.gif Shout Box
tree-L.gif Member Map
som_downloads.gif Resources
tree-T.gif Events Calendar
tree-T.gif Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Articles
tree-L.gif Web Links
icon_members.gif Account Tools
tree-T.gif Your Account

User Info

Welcome, Anonymous
User Name
Password

· Register
· Lost Password
People Online:
Visitors: 50
Members: 1

We received
page views since
March 2004

Server Date/Time
24 January 2018 00:45:06 CST (GMT -6)

The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group: Discussion Forums

Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group :: View topic - Blast Cabinet

Blast Cabinet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas8
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Blast Cabinet Reply with quote

The search function let me down on this one. Some of you guys must have a blast cabinet. I was just looking for tip and tricks from your experience. I used one a lot forty years ago when I worked in a sports car shop during my college days.

My kid's boss bought a Harbor Freight cabinet recently and he really likes it. He read the reviews and followed the advice to seal the seams w/silicone before he used it for the first time.

Yesterday I picked up this Nesco (made in USA!) cabinet. This cab has floated around my circle of friends for the past twenty years, at least. Its seams are welded, so there are fewer potential leak points. The gloves and window are in good shape but it needs a new hose or two, and I should probably add a dryer to my air line. It came w/two guns and a handful of tips in different sizes. The back has been extended so you can get larger items inside. It might take a swingarm, but it won't take a whole frame.

I bought a Campbell Hausfeld compressor at Montgomery Ward 1n 1994. It is rated 125 psi max, and should blow 5-6 cfm at 90 psi w/no problem. That sounds like enough for the small jobs that I'll be doing.

Does anyone else have a blast cabinet, or built or bought one recently?

fasterspider
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Harbor Freight unit but, I never used it.
There are no gloves and it isn't sealed anywhere but, to t was free.
I should do the nasty and make it a better box but, I'm kind of disabled still so it'll have to wait. Rolling Eyes
And I bet that Connecticut manufacturing company is long gone to China.

Ray #1
1964 Yamaha MG1-T Trailmaster
1984 Honda ATC 200X
Sold CBX and both Trail 90s were stolen
fasterspider [at] gmail [dot] com
dgjessing
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a similar Wards compressor Smile. (Older though...)
K5
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a HF 40lb unit, their bigger model. It was “okay”. As you might expect; came unassembled. Along with the foam to seal the joints, I used silicone also.

Your compressor will be good for short uses. I think most of the cabinets ask for 8-11cfm@90psi (don’t quote me on this). I’m running a 2-stage w/60gal tank, rated at 10cfm@90psi. When using the cabinet for longer periods; the compressor just keeps up.

Moisture can be a problem depending on your ambient relative humidity & compressor.

Ceramic nozzles are “the ticket”. More $$, but well worth it.

I used a shop vac for while to suck air & fine media. Worked okay, but the dust went everywhere. Bought a dust collector from TP. Expensive for what you get. I also got their Hepa exhaust filter. If I had to do over... I’d get the filter and figure a way to attach it to a shop vac.

Here’s a link to TP sales. I’m sure there’s others.

http://www.tptools.com/Abrasive-Blasting-Cabinets.html

Remembering the past... Liv´n the dream

1975 CB750K5 - Restored http://vjmog.com/ftopict-8591.html
1977 GL1000 - Daily Driver http://vjmog.com/ftopict-8883.html
1971 CB175K5 - Restored http://vjmog.com/ftopict-9282.html
1972 - CB350 Rest-Mod-Cafe, current project http://vjmog.com/ftopicp-56578.html#56578
1977 CT70 - Swap Meet Scooter
2004 Rune - Cruiser
1974 RD350 http://www.vjmog.com/ftopict-10725.html
2014 CB1100 http://www.vjmog.com/ftopict-10949.html
2003 HD Road King
tbpmusic
Gear Head
Gear Head

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar cabinet and compressor too.
I was disappointed, that's not nearly enough compressor for extended use of the cabinet.
Plenty of compressor for spray painting HVLP, but not blasting.

spurlock
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I have a home built blast cabinet detailed in a post here. I use it strictly for glass bead blasting.
Home built blast cabinet

I have a similar compressor to yours and it is plenty adequate since I mostly blast smaller parts so use is intermittent. I also have a small Harbor Freight cabinet dedicated to soda blasting. The soda does a great job on cylinders and heads to remove carbon and clean without damaging the metal. Plus the soda is easy to completely flush out of the parts with water. I would never use glass beads on internal engine parts.

You definitely need a dust collector plumbed to the cabinet (and a fresh air inlet) to maintain a slight negative pressure to prevent leaks and also to clear the air so you can see what you are doing. The dust collector will scavenge some of the media, but it also helps clean the media by pulling out the rust, paint, carbon etc. that you have blasted. The exhaust port should be located in an upper corner to minimize loss of media. You also need a good light inside the cabinet.

-Bill

1989 Honda CB-1
Thomas8
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spurlock wrote:
Tom, I have a home built blast cabinet detailed in a post here. I use it strictly for glass bead blasting....You definitely need a dust collector plumbed to the cabinet...You also need a good light inside the cabinet...Bill

The cabinet that I was given has an shielded light inside and a 4" exhaust port for the vacuum hose. I have been thinking about getting one of these cyclonic dust collectors that attaches to a 5 gal. bucket to use with my table saw. It should work with the blaster, too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JP315K/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i3?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B002JP315K&pd_rd_r=dd50b20a-f4f4-11e7-8608-8970f4803fc8&pd_rd_w=yjrJM&pd_rd_wg=APl2p&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=7KAS0YHC49DPDC15KK5W&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=0d036f2a-db56-478a-b511-f59f2469d474&pf_rd_i=desktop

spurlock
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure a separator helps to slow down clogging of the vacuum filter.
1989 Honda CB-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: