Welcome to Welcome to

Login
User Name

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Main Menu
icon_home.gif Home

icon_community.gif Community
tree-T.gif Discussion Forums
tree-T.gif Shout Box
tree-L.gif Member Map
som_downloads.gif Resources
tree-T.gif Events Calendar
tree-T.gif Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Articles
tree-L.gif Web Links
icon_members.gif Account Tools
tree-T.gif Your Account

User Info

Welcome, Anonymous
User Name
Password

· Register
· Lost Password
People Online:
Visitors: 39
Members: 5

We received
page views since
March 2004

Server Date/Time
20 April 2014 20:30:28 CDT (GMT -5)

The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group: Discussion Forums

Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group :: View topic - Metric fuel lines

Metric fuel lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Honda
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danyoder
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Metric fuel lines Reply with quote

Hi All,
I just know this will be a fun forum. I have owned a Suzuki GS650GL, a Vulcan 800 Classic and now I have two Magnas. I believe that this bike was made just for me. I have a 84 VF700C and a 85 VF1100C. I am 6'3" and around 225 lbs and the 31 1/2" seat height on the V65 fits me just right.
Well enough about me. Can someone tell me where I can buy 5.5mm ID x 8mm OD fuel line?
TIA

V65 right side outside smaller.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.39 KB
 Viewed:  3678 Time(s)

V65 right side outside smaller.jpg

KirkN
Gear Head
Gear Head

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Dan,

Welcome Aboard. Nice looking bike y'got there.

I guess I wouldn't bother seeking out any special fuel line.

5.5mm = .217"
3/16" = .188"
7/32" = .219"
1/4" = .250"

One of those standard fuel lines would work fine and they're usually available at any motorcycle shop.

Hobby shops, too, usually carry a wide selection of various fuel lines for the remote-controlled planes, boats, cars, etc. Even colored fuel lines for your bling fantasies... Smile

Again, welcome aboard!

Kirk
jayel
Commuter
Commuter

Location: Southeast Iowa, 74 Yam TX650A, 78 Yam SR500E, 87 H-D XLH 1100

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lawnmower shops ... get tygon lines doesn't get hard like pvc plastic but doesn't do well with ethanol fuels
05c50
Gear Head
Gear Head

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Dan. good to see another member from western Pa. You'll find lots of good info here. As for the fuel line, I use Motionpro premium line that I buy from a local bike shop. It comes in a 25 fott roll, but they sell it to me by the foot.

..............Paul

�80 CB650c
�75 GL1000-finally finished
�79 KZ200
68 CB450K1-taking up all my time
Bikegeezer
Gear Head
Gear Head

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been one of my pet peeves for years. Motion Pro and most other sellers offer only SAE sized fuel line, though they try to promote it as metric. Their 6.3 mm (1/4") hose fits too loosely on metric bikes, and their 4.7 mm (3/16") is too tight. They apparently think we're too dense to realize they're scamming us with those sizes. I buy my 5.5mm fuel line through my local Honda dealer. He buys it in bulk and sells it in 3' lengths for around $5. It's a genuine Honda product - stays soft and flexible for years and fits correctly, usually with no hose clips required.

Stu
danyoder
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Thanks guys Reply with quote

I called my local dealer and he can order me the 5.5 mm ID fuel line for 53.00 which include shipping. This is a bulk roll 8000 mm long which is 26 feet. I have two bikes to do so I will have 10 feet left for a future project. Thanks for all your help. I usually stay away from the dealerships, but sometime you just can't. If you Google this number you can get some hits.

95001-55008-60M ( Quantity 1 5.5mm hose, 26 feet)
KirkN
Gear Head
Gear Head

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, what??

16 FEET to do two bikes? 8 FEET of fuel hose per bike?

Wow, that's a lot of fuel line...

Very Happy
Bikegeezer
Gear Head
Gear Head

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KirkN wrote:
Wait, what??

16 FEET to do two bikes? 8 FEET of fuel hose per bike?

Wow, that's a lot of fuel line...

Very Happy
Sure is a lot, considering most bikes require 2 feet or less. But the fact that his dealer had to order the stuff in the first place has me wondering what they're using in their shop. Motion Pro crap, probably.

Stu
danyoder
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Maybe that includes vent hose also Reply with quote

I read on a forum that some guy used 7 feet to do his bike. Could that be including the vent hose and the run to the carbs. That does sound like way to much. I did find out that the 5.5 has a 10mm OD and the 4.5 has a 8mm OD so I am going to buy the 4.5 that is only .020 smaller. Boy I got a rise out of you guys on that one. I have only replaced my fuel filter and petcock so I have a lot to learn about the where all the rest of that hose is going.
Dan
danyoder
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: How to preform Reply with quote

Does anyone have any ideas on how to preform fuel lines. If I made a fixture to lay the line in would heat or freezing make it take a set?
Bikegeezer
Gear Head
Gear Head

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to preform Reply with quote

danyoder wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas on how to preform fuel lines. If I made a fixture to lay the line in would heat or freezing make it take a set?
It won't take a set, and you don't preform this stuff. It's very supple and will cooperate with you except on very extreme bends. BTW, the difference in inside diameter is what you should be concerned about, not the OD. If your fuel pipes are 5.5 mm, the 4.5 won't fit worth a darn. You'd be better off getting the Motion pro 3/16 fuel hose in that case. I don't follow your logic there. Question

Stu
danyoder
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Hi Stu Reply with quote

I am worried about the OD because the 8 mm OD OEM stuff just barely fits the small crevices that the factory ran it in. The long run from the fuel pump to the carbs runs along the frame and tank very snug like.

5.5 = .216 OD 10 mm
4.5 = .177 OD 8 mm
3/16 = .187 OD ????????????

You r right the 4.5 is way too tight. Do u know the OD of the 3/16?

Thanks Dan
05c50
Gear Head
Gear Head

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikegeezer wrote:
This has been one of my pet peeves for years. Motion Pro and most other sellers offer only SAE sized fuel line, though they try to promote it as metric. Their 6.3 mm (1/4") hose fits too loosely on metric bikes, and their 4.7 mm (3/16") is too tight. They apparently think we're too dense to realize they're scamming us with those sizes. I buy my 5.5mm fuel line through my local Honda dealer. He buys it in bulk and sells it in 3' lengths for around $5. It's a genuine Honda product - stays soft and flexible for years and fits correctly, usually with no hose clips required.

Stu

Hey Stu, If you're buying metric sized line, shouldn't it be $5 for a meter instead of 3 feet?? Wink Very Happy

..............Paul

�80 CB650c
�75 GL1000-finally finished
�79 KZ200
68 CB450K1-taking up all my time
danyoder
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Now I know why I said 7 feet Reply with quote

Please read this post and all the replies.
http://v4musclebike.com/forums/showthread.php?s=2437f114e9c008b8ff20a9ff0ae9fdc4&t=694
danyoder
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Bikebandit Reply with quote

I found pre cut fuel line at bikebandit OEM fuel line part numbers and all. I will probably go this route. It gives the correct lengths and all. I am really happy to have you guys for cyber friends. Hey Stu what magazine do you work for. I subscribe to two now but if you tell me it will be three. I am taking my V65 to Altoona Pa sat to help my 67 year old sister rake leaves. It is a 102 mile ride one way in 55 degree temperatures so lay down a few prayers for a safe trip and I will put you guys on my prayer list as well. We need protection and wisdom. Thanks for all your replies and consideration.
Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Honda All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: