Welcome to Welcome to

Login
User Name

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Main Menu
icon_home.gif Home

icon_community.gif Community
tree-T.gif Discussion Forums
tree-T.gif Shout Box
tree-L.gif Member Map
som_downloads.gif Resources
tree-T.gif Events Calendar
tree-T.gif Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Articles
tree-L.gif Web Links
icon_members.gif Account Tools
tree-T.gif Your Account

User Info

Welcome, Anonymous
User Name
Password

· Register
· Lost Password
People Online:
Visitors: 193
Members: 0

We received
page views since
March 2004

Server Date/Time
20 October 2017 10:27:10 CDT (GMT -5)

The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group: Discussion Forums

Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group :: View topic - TS90 weak spark?

TS90 weak spark?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Suzuki
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckin
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just replaced the entire ignition system with one that has good spark off another TS90. Exact same results! Now what? I'm showing continuity constant, when I spin the magneto. The needle drops very slightly but never drops completely. Brand new multimeter also...grrrrr....
chuckin
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, I should have zero continuity with the points open correct? I have a thin piece of cardboard wedged between them. Showing the same reading...
spurlock
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, with the points open you should show 2-3 ohms between the ignition which is the resistance of the ignition source coil under the flywheel. Continuity between with the black/yellow points from the points and ground means that wire is grounded somewhere. Are you sure it is unplugged from the ignition switch? The ignition switch grounds the black/yellow when in the OFF position.

-Bill

1989 Honda GB500tt
1990 Honda GB500tt
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that bike still have a kill switch? I think the kill switches I saw on ebay for that bike had a single black lead. In this case, I would think that the switch grounds out the coil in the 'engine off' position. I would check the connections inside the switch housing for corrosion or wire damage.

I just recently had an intermittent problem with my T500 engine dying....long story short....in this case, one of the two leads in the headlight bucket from the kill switch was just barely in it's connector. The vinyl insulation of the female connection was the only thing keeping the bullet connection from coming all the way out. Problem solved.

Just taking a shot at the problem...

Hang in there. You'll get it sorted out.

Last edited by dorT500 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
chuckin
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have everything disconnected on this bike except the black/yellow wire. 3rd black/yellow wire coming off the 3rd points plate now. This one sparked good on another bike. So it's obviously something I'm doing wrong.
chuckin
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to try next. The black/yellow wire continues to show continuity with the points open. I bought a multimeter with a needle this time instead of digital. Unfortunately, it won't read resistance as low as 2-3 ohms. Do I need to buy a better one? The thing is, when I put one probe to balck/yellow wire and the other to ground, the needle is buried. And stays way up there no matter the position of the magneto. I've looked over the black/yellow wire, seems intact. With 3 different points plates as well, there's no way that wire is compromised on all 3.
chuckin
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly, I feel like I'm not getting the timing just right. However, I know I've had it close enough several times. Occasionally, after adjusting the points, I will have visible spark. I'll screw the plug in and the bike fires. Then it dies. And I know before I even remove it that I have lost spark again. But nothing has changed! Connections are clean and tight. Flywheel key is not sheared off or anything. I just don't get it. Is it even possible that the engine isn't grounded properly or something? I'm now using the entire system from a running bike. Points plate, magneto, wires, exterior ignition coil, even the spark plug itself. And same old weak results...
chuckin
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have new points and condenser, came in the mail on friday. I feel like it's a waste of time to put them on. I feel like I could have brand new everything and it still wouldn't help. Because I basically do, I've swapped in the entire ignition system from a running bike! Is it correct that every other wire on this bike is irrelevant, I have Isolated the black/yellow wire only, assuming the others mean nothing if the bike doesn't run. Could I be over tightening the magneto? Are there torque specs for that? I have all key/kill switches disconnected, the current source coil, condenser, points, black/yellow wire, magneto, exterior coil and spark plug fired another bike!
chuckin
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well...it's running! Thanks everyone for your input, and especially Bill for patiently guiding me through the timing process! Getting ready to go for a ride once I put her back together.
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckin wrote:
........Is it even possible that the engine isn't grounded properly........
It's a fair question and it sure would not hurt anything to add a ground of your own. I am about to add a ground strap to my old motorhome engine.

Good on you for 'sticking to it' and Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress and success.

chuckin
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not done yet...I have a battery on the way, I'm assuming my headlight is toast. I have a few wires that have clearly been cut/altered. I'd like to get the existing lights working and add the missing blinkers. Has anyone ever tried fixing one of these headlights? Is that possible? Or am I at the mercy of the guy who actually still has a working one?
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a headlight mod......enter keyword jaguar into the vjmog search engine and click on pauls post. It's in there somewhere.
kbts250m
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckin wrote:
Well I'm not done yet...I have a battery on the way, I'm assuming my headlight is toast. I have a few wires that have clearly been cut/altered. I'd like to get the existing lights working and add the missing blinkers. Has anyone ever tried fixing one of these headlights? Is that possible? Or am I at the mercy of the guy who actually still has a working one?

Sorry if I missed something but is your headlight burned out or do you just have some wires that need repair?

Previously - 70 Suz T350, 71 Suz TS250, 72 Suz GT380, 72 Suz TS125, 72 Suz TS250, 75 Yam YZ360B, 72 Suz GT380 diy cafe racer, 80 Suz GS750, 73 Suz TS185, 82 Suz GS1100
chuckin
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headlight is burned out. Tried the battery today. Now I have two burned out...ugh
I do have some wiring in need of repair before I can run the accessories/lights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: