Welcome to Welcome to

Login
User Name

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Main Menu
icon_home.gif Home

icon_community.gif Community
tree-T.gif Discussion Forums
tree-T.gif Shout Box
tree-L.gif Member Map
som_downloads.gif Resources
tree-T.gif Events Calendar
tree-T.gif Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Articles
tree-L.gif Web Links
icon_members.gif Account Tools
tree-T.gif Your Account

User Info

Welcome, Anonymous
User Name
Password

· Register
· Lost Password
People Online:
Visitors: 153
Members: 1

We received
page views since
March 2004

Server Date/Time
11 December 2017 06:34:02 CST (GMT -6)

The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group: Discussion Forums

Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group :: View topic - TS90 help

TS90 help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Suzuki
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckin
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: TS90 help Reply with quote

Ok, taking a break from my TS90 now that it's running. Need to get some wiring figured out. Thanks to you guys and this site, I felt like a master at the ignition system on this bike. (Certainly this is not the case!) However, just for kicks, I decided to see if I could get my parts bike to spark and fire. And wouldn't you know it, after about an hour of fiddling, I have spark! I set the timing, boy did I struggle with that before this site, and cleaned the filthy carb. Added a little gas/oil mix, (unsure about the oil injection for now) and 2nd kick this bike is running!
It will start first kick every time now, and will sit and idle pretty darn good. However, as soon as I turn the throttle, it boggs right down and or dies. I was able to give it full throttle a couple times and it just doesn't respond well at all. I think the carb seems good, could be wrong. I did change the muffler out just in case maybe it was clogged, and put a clean air filter on. Any ideas? Seems like she wants to go, could be an interesting project to take on with my son. Unfortunately, I have the bug now, and a desire to bring these old bikes back to life...This could get ugly...
kbts250m
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought is fuel starvation. Turn the petcock off, pull the fuel line off the carb, and then turn the petcock back to "on". Gas should flow freely with no contaminants and continue flowing. If not, open the gas cap and see if that helps. If not, you've got to pull the petcock and give it a good cleaning and probably the tank too. If you have plenty of gas going to the carb it could be a internal carb problem like a mis-adjusted float level, sticky float needle, plugged passage from fuel inlet to float needle seat, or missing circlip on needle valve to name a few.

Previously - 70 Suz T350, 71 Suz TS250, 72 Suz GT380, 72 Suz TS125, 72 Suz TS250, 75 Yam YZ360B, 72 Suz GT380 diy cafe racer, 80 Suz GS750, 73 Suz TS185, 82 Suz GS1100
chuckin
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned the tank, petcock, and carb. I have good flow to the carb, I feel like the passages are clear, float and needle seem good and moving freely. Could use a crash course on float level adjustment, as well as circlip location. I've cleaned lots of small carbs like this one, doesn't mean I really know what I'm doing. Although I've had good success getting them going again.

Second parts bike...went through the ignition components and have spark on it also. Something is definitely wrong with this bike, milky substance smells like 80/90 weight like I used to fill my boat motor lower unit with. It's in the crank case, on the plug, coming out the exhaust. This was from just a couple curiosity kicks so I stopped. But I imagine it's not good. Thanks for the advice, keep it coming!
kbts250m
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't access a breakdown of your carb right now but from memory it has brass floats. Your float level would have to be waaay off (low) to cause the symptom you describe. A quick way to check float level is to remove the float bowl and turn the carb approximately horizontal with the float hanging down. Rotate the carb slightly so the float hangs away from the end of the float needle and then go back the other way until it just touches it. The arm that attaches the float should be parallel with the bottom of carb where the float bowl attaches. If not, bend the little tab that touches the float needle to adjust.

I wouldn't waste any time trying to get spare engine number two going. Chocolate milk coming out everywhere is a sure sign it's had or has water in it. It needs to come apart.

Previously - 70 Suz T350, 71 Suz TS250, 72 Suz GT380, 72 Suz TS125, 72 Suz TS250, 75 Yam YZ360B, 72 Suz GT380 diy cafe racer, 80 Suz GS750, 73 Suz TS185, 82 Suz GS1100
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckin wrote:
........ I feel like the passages are clear, float and needle seem good and moving freely. Could use a crash course on float level adjustment, as well as circlip loccation............
Is the carb on this bike like the one in the service manual I had given the link to early on? There is a Type A and then there is a Type B carb like found would normally be found on a TS125 and TS185 for two examples. On the Type A float height....measure with float bowl gasket removed. Anyway, here is the service manual link again. http://suzukits.informe.com/wiki/view/Index_of_documents Pages 30-33 cover carb tune up very well including listing the jet needle clip to be located in the third groove from the top. It seems you are getting pretty comfortable with the mechanics on these machines. Thumbsup What years are these TS90's ?

From the above manual....
TS90 (double air jet type?)....

Last edited by dorT500 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:50 pm; edited 5 times in total
chuckin
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Yeah, I'm somewhat comfortable working on them. I'm a carpenter not a mechanic, but I know my way around tools and I'm a fast learner. I have other bikes too, so I've been tinkering with them for a while. I hope you guys are ready for lots of questions, because my old 71 CT175 needs some attention soon also! I'll get more carb info back to you this weekend. The original bike I bought, (not running), is a 1970. It was my main focus. I was fortunate to get the parts bikes locally for a total of $300. The one that runs rough is a 1970 also. And the one filled with chocolate milk is a 1971. The 71, I will likely try to restore, as it is stamped with my exact birthdate (11/71) so the motor off the 2nd bike might end up on that frame. I've been trying to get you guys some pictures, but it won't let me post them from my phone due to size. I promise I will get some on here soon. The original bike cleaned up nice, it hasn't been used in at least 15 years, because that's how long ago I bought it! It's been sitting covered in my buddy's garage in South Carolina until just this spring. Hoping to end up with 2 nice bikes out of 3...more to come this weekend, and thanks again for all the help!
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckin wrote:
............ The 71, I will likely try to restore, as it is stamped with my exact birthdate (11/71) so the motor off the 2nd bike might end up on that frame. I've been trying to get you guys some pictures, but it won't let me post them from my phone due to size. I promise I will get some on here soon.
Hey chuckin, actually, from personal experience and from what I have read over the years, if that Suzuki frame is stamped with a month from the second half of the year, that makes it a '72. There are lists of engine, frame numbers with corresponding years if you are interested and then of course the body set color can be another indicator of the year.

About posting pics, I don't know if the file size limits have changed here recently or not, but lately I have been having a little trouble posting pics even just as attachments. It could be something I'm overlooking I guess but I have not had much trouble in the past years posting pics here. There is a little something going on from my Imgur hosting also. I'm looking into that.

If you want to email me some pics (don't worry about the size, I'll reduce them if need be), I'll post them for you......and hope they 'stick' Wink

I have sent you a secondary email address I occasionally use via a VJMOG private message should you want me to post the pics.

chuckin
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, I sent you a couple pics of the first bike. I'm not finished with it yet, but gave it a decent wipe down. As you can see, there's some rust I'd like to address, as soon as I learn the best way. I'd like to bring the chrome back best I can, and whatever the silver color is on the crankcase, I need to redo on the carb cover and the piece you can see by the chain gaurd. I want to do it right so it lasts, so I'm open to advice...and then the wiring and lights...
chuckin
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the frame and dates, it really doesn't matter. I'd like to build a second bike from the two parts bikes, so either frame will do. Just thought it was cool it was stamped Nov of 71, which is when I was born. The main thing I guess, would be to match the colors that would've come on the original bike. I'd like to know what the color options were for each year, my research so far has been a little confusing. The first bike with the aspen yellow tank I would've thought was original. However it appears that was made in 71? I'd like to get them close to original, but I doubt I'll get too carried away to achieve that goal.
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckin wrote:
Thanks Mark, I sent you a couple pics of the first bike. I'm not finished with it yet, but gave it a decent wipe down. As you can see, there's some rust I'd like to address, as soon as I learn the best way. I'd like to bring the chrome back best I can, and whatever the silver color is on the crankcase, I need to redo on the carb cover and the piece you can see by the chain gaurd. I want to do it right so it lasts, so I'm open to advice...and then the wiring and lights...
You're welcome. Those pics you sent me were a little large. Wink I reduced them. They were 4128 x 2322 and 5.87MB each. Shocked Perfect for Rizingsons' biggo monitor/tv but..... Smile

I'll post some engine and frame number info and hopefully some accurate info on colors. You may have already hit on some of it.

Right now, I need do find some technical data on an old Onan generator.

Anyway, here are the resized pics you sent me. You might try, for starters, on the fenders and other chrome, soaking a #0000 fine steel wool pad in WD40 and see how that works on removing light surface rust. Works a treat for me. Then just wash it off with soap and water before waxing or trying something else.

Gotta go, looks like you own some 'solid' machines there..... Thumbsup

Text from your email to me...... ".....here's a couple pics of the first bike. I wish I would've taken some before pics, as things were mostly back together in these. I'll get some of the parts bikes, and my other bikes when I get a chance. Feel free to post these up on vjmog. Thx"

Very Happy

Last edited by dorT500 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckin wrote:
........ Just thought it was cool it was stamped Nov of 71, which is when I was born.....
:old: Noted,
but you were born a little too late Smile ......I remember the '70's:old: ..........kinda. Wink

As long as the subject of birth dates and motorcycles (or close to them Wink ) has come up again.......

Arrow http://www.vjmog.com/ftopicp-19698.html#19698

kbts250m
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard about the old Coca-Cola and a balled-up wad of aluminum foil trick for cleaning up rusty chrome? It will not scratch the chrome at all and works surprisingly well. Finish off with some good paste wax and you might be surprised.

@dorT500 - I used to remember the 70s too ..... kinda ha ha ha ha. I figured getting another TS250 might help to re-invigorate old unused/damaged/shorted-out brain cells. Sadly, they seem to be FUBAR. Sad

dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbts250m wrote:
Have you heard about the old Coca-Cola and a balled-up wad of aluminum foil trick for cleaning up rusty chrome? It will not scratch the chrome at all and works surprisingly well. Finish off with some good paste wax and you might be surprised.
I tried the aluminum foil trick on an old spare fender, Sad nobody told me about the Coca-Cola though.Rant Smile

kbts250m wrote:
@dorT500 - I used to remember the 70s too ..... kinda ha ha ha ha. I figured getting another TS250 might help to re-invigorate old unused/damaged/shorted-out brain cells. Sadly, they seem to be FUBAR. Sad
ditto.. cheers

Friday

kbts250m
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the Coca Cola for sure. It's a proven rust dissolver (as well as pretty damn good with Captain Morgan).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7OdX42NjWQ
"Better Living Through Chemistry" as they used to say back in the 70's.
Peace.

chuckin
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are cracking me up...and yeah, I was born a little late. I've been saying that for years! My taste in music is proof for sure..

Didn't get a chance to work on the bike this past weekend, had to take care of some other stuff. (My priorities are messed up) I'll keep you posted as I get to it. A little coke for the bike, a little captain and coke for me...sounds like a fun day in the garage... cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: