Welcome to Welcome to

Login
User Name

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Main Menu
icon_home.gif Home

icon_community.gif Community
tree-T.gif Discussion Forums
tree-T.gif Shout Box
tree-L.gif Member Map
som_downloads.gif Resources
tree-T.gif Events Calendar
tree-T.gif Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Articles
tree-L.gif Web Links
icon_members.gif Account Tools
tree-T.gif Your Account

User Info

Welcome, Anonymous
User Name
Password

· Register
· Lost Password
People Online:
Visitors: 158
Members: 2

We received
page views since
March 2004

Server Date/Time
18 November 2017 12:27:06 CST (GMT -6)

The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group: Discussion Forums

Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group :: View topic - Went looking for fall color in the California wine country

Went looking for fall color in the California wine country

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Rallies, Events and trip reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spurlock
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Went looking for fall color in the California wine country Reply with quote

Nov. 7th of last year I did a Napa Valley fall color ride and found the grape vines putting on a great show, so last week I headed back up Napa Valley hoping for a repeat.

I headed up Pleasants Vly road on the NX250, enjoying morning's long shadows.

A detour through the little town of Winters for gas took me past Lake Solano and its mirror-like reflections.

As I rode past Lake Berryessa there was little color in the leaves, and of course too much of the color black from our recent fires.

But surely the Napa vineyards would be a blaze of bright yellows and reds.....nope, most vines were either still green, a feeble greenish yellow, or had dropped their leaves already. Poor me, I had to content myself with just the ordinary spectacular views and interesting sights, a fun bike and great roads.

I decided to ride over Ida Clayton Rd. an amazing 12 miles of rustic pavement and gravel that traverses the west side of Mt. St. Helena. Past the town of Calistoga I stopped to look toward the mountain and saw that fire had charred a good bit of the eastern and southern slopes. I began to worry that maybe Ida Clayton has been burned.

Riding up Hwy 128 west of Calistoga there is plenty of bad fire damage, including the kinds of shots we've all seen in the media with burned trees, vehicles and buildings. But a few miles before reaching the Ida Clayton turnoff all looked fine. I headed up the narrow, bumpy little road. Surely the big vineyard up here would be putting on a show of color. And if not, pretty leaves were just an excuse to get back on this great road anyway.

Good news, the fire did not come over the west side. And although the vines have already dropped their leaves, the bare rows outlining every contour of the land have their own beauty. I'm a happy guy!

Passing across a summit and heading north this delicious road delivers mile after mile of deeply shaded tree tunnels. With little or no traffic, places too narrow for two vehicles, and stunning beauty it feels a world apart.

Suddenly the road changes name to Western Mine Rd, changes to gravel and begins a steep drop down to Hwy 29 near Middletown.

I ride up and over 29 back to Calistoga for lunch at Buster's Southern Barbecue, where I finally see some beautiful rich red colors in the sauce on my pork ribs. Also had a nice chat with a fellow rider visiting from Fresno on his brand new Harley.

Riding back down Napa Valley and still not finding much fall color I decided to try my luck over the hill in Pope Valley and turned uphill to another remote bit of funky pavement, Ink Grade. It rewarded as usual with no traffic, tall dark redwood forest and tight twisty turns as it dropped down into Pope Valley. But still not much color, just everyday amazing beauty and a fun ride. Oh well, I put up with it.

But once on Pope Valley and Chiles Valley roads I struck gold, as well as red and yellow.

Feeling stupid happy I scoot back around Lake Berryessa and down Pleasants Valley Rd to home, totally satisfied and once again pinching myself to make sure such a fine ride was not a dream. Life is good.

-Bill

1989 Honda GB500tt
1990 Honda GB500tt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Rallies, Events and trip reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: