Welcome to Welcome to

Login
User Name

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Main Menu
icon_home.gif Home

icon_community.gif Community
tree-T.gif Discussion Forums
tree-T.gif Shout Box
tree-L.gif Member Map
som_downloads.gif Resources
tree-T.gif Events Calendar
tree-T.gif Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Articles
tree-L.gif Web Links
icon_members.gif Account Tools
tree-T.gif Your Account

User Info

Welcome, Anonymous
User Name
Password

· Register
· Lost Password
People Online:
Visitors: 177
Members: 2

We received
page views since
March 2004

Server Date/Time
22 January 2018 18:43:54 CST (GMT -6)

The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group: Discussion Forums

Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group :: View topic - '73 CL100 fix-up

'73 CL100 fix-up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Honda
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgjessing
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spurlock wrote:
Nice work!

-Bill

Thanks!

Quick question - were the side covers on the engine originally polished, or were they painted?
spurlock
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgjessing wrote:
spurlock wrote:
Nice work!

-Bill

Thanks!

Quick question - were the side covers on the engine originally polished, or were they painted?

Painted, Dupli-Color DE1615 aluminum ceramic engine paint is a great match.

Happy New Year!

-Bill

1989 Honda CB-1
dgjessing
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful, Bill! Mine's not going to look that good, but it will be OK Smile.

I've checked one more (small) thing off the list this afternoon - installed a horn and re-did the wiring to same and the ignition switch. It's got an incorrect switch, but it works fine and I can't really justify replacing it. The main reason I wanted a horn was to conceal the back of the switch, where it was pretty obvious that a simple wire jumper would do as a key. So mission accomplished, plus if a cop ever asks if the horn works, it does!

DSCF4963.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.2 KB
 Viewed:  7 Time(s)

DSCF4963.JPG

DSCF4961.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.38 KB
 Viewed:  10 Time(s)

DSCF4961.JPG

dgjessing
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for a little ride today before the rain came in order to warm up the oil before draining it. The stuff has got about 500 miles on it, and it's blacker than I'd like to see, but still feels quite "oily" (if you know what I mean) and does not smell gasoliney (if you know what I mean). So I dunno... This in preparation for removing the side covers and cleaning the centrifugal oil filter, etc.

I had one 1/4" dia x 1/8" rare earth magnet left over from another project and I bored the drain plug to accept it (with a little JB Weld).

On another matter, I know the bike is not up to carrying a passenger, but nevertheless it would be nice to be able to do so for short distances occasionally. Do the lugs on my swingarm look right, or have they been butchered?

DSCF4968.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.94 KB
 Viewed:  6 Time(s)

DSCF4968.JPG

DSCF4970.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.66 KB
 Viewed:  8 Time(s)

DSCF4970.JPG

DSCF4971.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.4 KB
 Viewed:  6 Time(s)

DSCF4971.JPG

spurlock
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, those passenger peg lugs have been sawed off flush. There should be two "ears" sticking out to accept the folding pegs and their pivot pins. The right side had the short extension due to the muffler on that side.

-Bill

1989 Honda CB-1
dorT500
Full Throttle
Full Throttle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here some pics...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/152786274034?vectorid=229466&lgeo=1&item=152786274034&rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/352198310141?vectorid=229466&lgeo=1&item=352198310141&rmvSB=true

dgjessing
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - I'll probably get in there & fix that.
dgjessing
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compression test results: Totally dry & cold, not having run for several days, 145 psi. With some oil squirted in, 220 psi. The manual says 170 psi warmed up. Spark plug looks pretty good (see attached). Based on all this (and the fact that it runs really well), I think I'm going to leave the top end alone. Don't fix it if it ain't broke and all that...

We got about 4" of snow last night and it looks like it's going to be in the teens all next week. Plus, it's winter Sad. So sometime before March I'll do some more stuff, but this thing is pretty much done!

DSCF4973.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.93 KB
 Viewed:  8 Time(s)

DSCF4973.JPG

spurlock
Commuter
Commuter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgjessing wrote:
Compression test results: Totally dry & cold, not having run for several days, 145 psi. With some oil squirted in, 220 psi. The manual says 170 psi warmed up. Spark plug looks pretty good (see attached). Based on all this (and the fact that it runs really well), I think I'm going to leave the top end alone. Don't fix it if it ain't broke and all that...

We got about 4" of snow last night and it looks like it's going to be in the teens all next week. Plus, it's winter Sad. So sometime before March I'll do some more stuff, but this thing is pretty much done!

Great work you have done dgjessing, nice job saving another little Honda from the ravages of age and uncaring owners! And yes, your compression is fine. Compression readings are pretty squishy numbers. First, it only takes a tiny particle of carbon under a valve to cause a temporary leak and falsely lower the reading. And worse, compression gauges add volume to the combustion chamber, lowering the compression reading more or less depending upon the volume of the gauge. I have never understood just what type of gauge was used to figure the published spec in manuals. But for a test, I once measured the volume of my automotive gauge and its 18" long hose and added that figure to my calculated measurement of actual combustion chamber volume for my CB125. The volume the gauge added to the combustion chamber lowered the compression ratio from the actual 9.5:1 down to 6.15:1. So the moral is, compression readings are highly variable depending upon type of gauge and other conditions. When working as a dealership mechanic I can't remember using a compression gauge more than a handful of times. Instead my go-to assessment was pushing the kick starter past compression stroke by hand. That will tell you if compression is adequate or not.

-Bill

1989 Honda CB-1
dgjessing
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday & today I've replaced one broken and one bent spoke in the rear wheel, and trued the thing up a bit. Took a little head scratching to figure out which spokes to swing out of the way to make room for the new one, but I figured it out. I'm getting a maximum out-of-round of about .025" and a maximum run-out (wobble) of about .050". I didn't measure before starting so I don't know how much I improved things, but it's certainly better than it was based on visual inspection. Squeezing in the middle, all the spokes deflect about the same amount, so I'm happy. I wouldn't advise going racing on the thing, but I think it's good enough for a 100cc street bike.

Also, under the header of "Why wasn't I notified of this sooner?", I discovered that a stainless steel wire brush works like like a zillion times better to clean up dirty alloy parts than a carbon steel brush. Just amazing Smile.

DSCF4978.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.74 KB
 Viewed:  9 Time(s)

DSCF4978.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Honda All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: