Welcome to Welcome to

Login
User Name

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Main Menu
icon_home.gif Home

icon_community.gif Community
tree-T.gif Discussion Forums
tree-T.gif Shout Box
tree-L.gif Member Map
som_downloads.gif Resources
tree-T.gif Events Calendar
tree-T.gif Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Articles
tree-L.gif Web Links
icon_members.gif Account Tools
tree-T.gif Your Account

User Info

Welcome, Anonymous
User Name
Password

· Register
· Lost Password
People Online:
Visitors: 49
Members: 1

We received
page views since
March 2004

Server Date/Time
17 December 2017 07:05:58 CST (GMT -6)

The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group: Discussion Forums

Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group :: View topic - More TS185 questions. Kick starter and seized piston head

More TS185 questions. Kick starter and seized piston head

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Suzuki
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rmaccrac
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: More TS185 questions. Kick starter and seized piston head Reply with quote

Hey guys. Got another TS185 for a parts bike. Decided to pull the engine apart to get it going. Piston is seized. Need to get it unseized. Been using wd-40 and pb blaster and just muscling it with no luck. Also the kickstarter may be broken/stipped as it does not want to catch. Im guessing somebody kicked it really hard while it was seized and broke it. My worry/question is, to replace this, do i need to crack the crankcase? Im pretty sure i do. Which friggen sucks.
kbts250m
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the piston is seized inside the cylinder and you cannot make it move? If so, you don't have many options, and none of them are good. Probably the least worst is to try more brute force - with head off and cylinder still bolted to crankcase, try pounding top of piston with hammer and short length of 2" dia or so pipe. At best, you'll get the cylinder off without destroying it and/or the crank.

If you're lucky, the kickstart problem could just be a chipped pawl. I'm not 100% positive but seem to remember you had to split the cases of the earlier TS185s to get to it.

Previously - 70 Suz T350, 71 Suz TS250, 72 Suz GT380, 72 Suz TS125, 72 Suz TS250, 75 Yam YZ360B, 72 Suz GT380 diy cafe racer, 80 Suz GS750, 73 Suz TS185, 82 Suz GS1100
Rmaccrac
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to free the piston. Now to split the case and replace the kickstarter. Thanks for the advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: